Monday, January 19, 2009

Grandpa

Just something that's on my mind...
My Grandpa turned 91 - on January 16
He's not doing so well though -
Grandpa has a few health problems (as I'm sure you would expect) and is having trouble with his balance. He has had a few falls and fell and hit his head at home in the bathroom yesterday. He had to go to the ER for some sutures and after a good CT report - was sent home. He is on coumadin because of his mechanical heart valve, and when they checked his inr, it was high (meaning his blood was too "thin" and he could bleed very easily). OK, so to me - everything about that screams KEEP THE GUY OVERNIGHT FOR OBSERVATION. But they didn't....
I was on the phone with my Mom last night getting the story about the day, and I heard a scream. Then my Mom said, "He fell again? I have to go.", and she hung up.
When I got the update from that fall, I learned that he fell on his rear in the bathroom but was OK this time.
I REALLY wish they had taken him back to the ER, so he could be evaluated (since he's a bleeding risk, has bone ca, had his second fall of the day, and obviously isn't safe on his own), OK, and so whomever sent him home would feel stupid for putting him at risk, but they didn't. I asked that they would at least look at his rear to check for bruising or hematoma - hopefully they did.
Grandpa's quality of life hasn't been great for a while. I know he's not happy about not driving. I know that the loss of independence has to be extremely frustrating - I know I would hate it. And it's hard for my Grandma to watch too.
Please keep them in your prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will all be in our prayers!

Wendi W.